This past week has been light on posting. Why? Because I'm leaving tomorrow, and when I'm on the verge of departing a most beloved country, I spend my time soaking up everything I love about the place. Of course, I can't do too much with my wobbly, inflamed knee, but I try not to let that hold me back from a big dose of Irishy goodness.
This week has mainly consisted of: eating my very first slice of banoffee pie, trying out the lunch menu at the Electric Bar on the River Lee, watching English Premiership soccer, and drinking about a thousand cups of tea. I've had my last Sunday roast at E.'s family's house. I've said goodbye to the neighborhood golden retriever, Murphy. And, I've had my last jaunt around city center.
I usually find it quite hard to sum up experiences like this... but that never keeps me from trying. So, yesterday, I made a list of all the things I'm grateful to have experienced this summer. I'm not sure a list really conveys the massive smile that invades my face when I reflect on the past few months, but I thought I would share anyway.
Things I'm Glad I Experienced:
- Pints of Beamish at the Hi-B pub
- Walking in the Lee Fields almost everyday
- Sunday dinners with E.'s family
- Lunch on the balcony of mine and E's apartment
- Walking to the Wilton or the Rendez-Vous for a cup of coffee and an hour of drawing time
- E. rigging up the tea pot to make coffee when our French press developed a crack
- Watching Peep Show and QI on the couch with glasses of red wine or cups of peppermint tea
- Writing a short story from a cafe at the very tip-top of St. Stephen's Green Shopping Centre while watching street performers dance for tourists outside
- Finding time to draw and write everyday
- Meeting E.'s friends
- Attending an Irish wedding
- West Cork and Kerry (all of it)
- Train rides
- Buying fresh fish from the English Market